Friday, March 20, 2009

Do You Know Me ?


- I an a native of St. Charles, Idaho and was born on March 25, 1867.

- I was an American artist and scupltor and was trained in Paris at the Academie Julian and was influenced by Auguste Rodin.

- Some of my sculptures can be found in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine (New York City), the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Capitol Rotunda in Washington DC.

- After I graduated from Harvard Technical College my work surpassed my brother Solon's.

- I sculpted the head of Robert E. Lee at Stone Mountain in Georgia but quit the project in March 1925. It was later completed by Augustus Lukeman.

- I sculpted Mount Rushmore and it is the work I am most famous for. Presidential heads of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt are located in the Black Hills near Keystone, South Dakota. It was begun on October 4, 1927 and all the faces were completed by 1939, but I died of an embolism in March of 1941. Work was stopped on October 31, 1941 due to lack of funds.
-
- Who Am I ?
-
-
-
-
-
-
- (John) Gutzon de la Mothe Borglum

No comments:

Blog Archive